- The City Watch are always on the look out for you. Other city residents
don't know who you are.
- Most city residents will not bother you unless you bother them first.
The City Watch are an exception.
- Don't get caught stealing, picking locks, intruding, and so on, or
someone may summon the City Watch.
- You can ally with the Pagans, the Hammers, both, or neither. It's
- If the Hammers or Pagans are Hostile towards you, they will attack
you on sight anywhere.
- If the Hammers or Pagans are Neutral towards you, they won't attack
you unless you enter their territory.
- If the Hammers or Pagans are Allied with you, they will allow you
to enter their territory.
- You can do favors for the Hammers and Pagans to improve your faction
status with them.
- There are some side quests that you can accomplish for either the
Hammers or the Pagans, but not both.
- If you attack the Hammers or Pagans, your faction status will decline.
- If you steal from the Hammers or Pagans, your faction status will
- Look at the Faction screen to check your faction status with the
Hammers and Pagans.
- The Keepers leave glyph markings outside Hammer and Pagan territory.
- The Keepers use Keeper Door Glyphs to hide secrets in the City.
- You may need special equipment to climb up to valuable objects high
above the streets.
- There is usually one fence and one store in each district in The
- Each fence will refuse to purchase a type of loot from you. Which
type varies between fences.
- Look for symbols on your map that indicate stores, fences, factions,
and the City Watch.
- Some people carry valuables that cannot be pickpocketed. You must
mug them to get their goods.
- You can mug people by threatening them with a weapon. They will drop
their valuables and run.
- Some loot can only be stolen once, but in some locations, you'll
find loot every day.
- Elemental arrows can be found in the same places every day.
- Holy water can be found in Fort Ironwood in Old Quarter.
- Climbing gloves can be purchased in the store in the Docks district.
- Each store sells one of the elemental arrows.
- Practice locks can be bought in stores. They appear in your residence.
Use them to refine your skills.
Thief III - Lockpicking Tips
- Locks come in four different shapes. The shape of a lock can tell
you how many stages it has.
- The material a lock is made of can give you hints about where the
sweet spots will be in each stage.
- XBOX - To complete a stage faster, pull the RIGHT TRIGGER when in
the sweet spot.
- PC - To complete a stage faster, use the ATTACK key when in the sweet
- Water arrows can be used to clean up puddles of blood so that no one
will notice them.
- You can listen at doors to hear what’s on the other side. To
listen at a door, lean into it.
- Closed doors will conduct less sound than open doors.
- Objects that move around and collide can make noises that your opponents
- Out of noisemaker arrows? Try tossing objects as an improvisational
- When an opponent is searching for you, move quietly between shadows
while his back is turned.
- Opponents may notice if you steal a piece of loot.
- Opponents may notice if their allies turn up missing.
- Opponents may notice if you put out a light source.
- Opponents may notice if you leave doors open.
- Metal is the loudest type of flooring. Use moss arrows to cover up
- You can pinch out lit candles by using them. Larger flames require
water arrows to be extinguished.
- Knocking your opponents unconscious is more stealthy than killing
- Your opponents will search for you if they get suspicious. Avoid
them, and they might not catch you.
- If you get away after being caught, you'll be able to start sneaking
again once your opponents give up.
- Wall flattening and crouching both darken your Light Gem, making
you harder to see.
- When your Light Gem is very dark, you are nearly impossible to see.
- When you draw a fire arrow, your Light Gem will get very bright.
Opponents can see you easily.
- Run only when your opponents' backs are turned, as it makes you harder
to see and hear.
- Running brightens your Light Gem, making you easier to see. It also
makes your footsteps louder.
- If there is hard cover between you and your opponent, they won’t
be able to see you.
- Be sure to hide your opponents' bodies, or they may get discovered.
- The fire arrow is a damaging weapon, but it makes a lot of noise,
which will draw attention.
- Observe your enemies carefully to determine their patrol routes and
- Watch and listen to your enemies to determine whether they are suspicious
of your presence.
- The more suspicious your opponents are, the more likely they are
to search for you.
- XBOX - Move the thumbstick just a little to walk slowly and very
- XBOX - Use your mechanical eye to scout out distant targets. Press
the D-PAD UP to zoom in, and press DOWN to zoom out.
- PC - Use your mechanical eye to scout out targets at a distance.
Use the ZOOM IN and ZOOM OUT keys.
- XBOX - Lean to see around corners without getting caught. Use the
D-PAD LEFT and RIGHT to lean.
- PC - Lean to see around corners without getting caught. Use the LEAN
LEFT and LEAN RIGHT keys to lean.
- XBOX - Move the thumbstick just a little to walk slowly and very
- PC - Use WALK to move slowly and very quietly. Use CREEP to move even
more slowly and be completely silent.
- Opponents who are blinded will snap out of it if you attack them.
Try making a fast getaway instead.
- Some equipment can be retrieved for reuse, for example, broadhead
arrows that stick into wood.
- Open books can be read. Closed books can only be dropped or thrown.
Gleaming books are valuable loot.
- Shoot water arrows into moss puddles to make them grow bigger.
- Shoot fire arrows into oil puddles to ignite them.
- Most opponents will avoid walking through burning oil puddles. You
can block off passages with them.
- The undead will avoid walking through holy water puddles. You can
use holy water to block off passages.
- If you want to play a mission at a different difficulty, use 'Restart
Mission' on the LOAD screen.
- Opponents who slip on oil slicks might fall off cliffs, down stairs,
or over railings.
- Shoot a moss arrow at an opponent's face to make him choke.
- Avoid fighting more than one opponent at a time.
- Try dropping heavy objects on your opponents' heads.
- Shoot an unaware human opponent in the head or chest to kill him
in one hit.
- You can use the climbing gloves to scale sheer vertical surfaces
made of stones or bricks.
- Shallow water is transparent and can be entered. Deep water is opaque
and will kill you if you enter it.
- You can backstab with the dagger by sneaking behind an unaware opponent.
- Shaman, Priests, and Elders can't cast spells without their wands.
- Shaman, Priests, and Elders will sometimes cast helpful spells on
their allies which you can intercept.
- If opponents start to fight each other, they will be too distracted
to fight you.
- Hammer Priests can bless their allies, allowing them to do more damage
and hurt undead.
- Keeper Elders can cast spells which turn their allies invisible.
- Pagan Shaman can cast spells which speed their allies up.
- Just because a zombie is lying on the ground doesn't mean it's dead.
- Hammer Haunts are undead Hammerites whose burial site was desecrated.
- The Keeper Enforcers are a group of stealthy warriors, modified by
glyphs to have special abilities.
- Use the compass and the map together to get your bearings and find
- Don't forget to check your map, especially when you're trying to
find a particular destination.
- You can pickpocket by sneaking up behind somebody and using their
possession when it highlights.
- Look for objects carried on your opponent's belt. These can be pickpocketed
when your opponent is unaware.
- The blackjack is good for knocking an opponent out, but it does very
little damage in combat.
- The dagger does far more damage in combat than the blackjack does.
- The blackjack doesn't work on some opponents, such as the undead.
- Flashbombs only blind opponents who are close enough to the point
- The undead are rumored to be damaged by sudden flashes of bright
- You will be able to obtain some of the Keepers' special Glyph powers.
- There's no point in hoarding lots of cash. You should use it to purchase
tools in stores in the City.
- Elemental arrows refer to Water, Fire, Gas, and Moss arrows.
- Loot comes in three types: Artwork, Metal, and Gems. No fence will
buy all three types.
- Each mission has three pieces of special loot.
- It's always a good idea to find the map for a mission before you
enter, if possible.
- There are numerous ways to escape when you get caught. Try tossing
an escape tool, such as a flashbomb.
- Flashbombs, oil flasks, explosive mines, and climbing gloves can
all be used to make quick getaways.
- Pagans are the humans and creatures who worship the Trickster god.
- Hammers are men who worship The Builder god.
- The Pagan tribes are populated by both humans and beastmen.
- XBOX - To de-nock an arrow without firing it, release the RIGHT TRIGGER
very slowly or use WALL FLATTEN.
- PC - Use the JUMP or ESC key to de-nock an arrow without firing it.
- XBOX - You can drop objects with USE or throw them with the RIGHT
TRIGGER. Pull the trigger harder for a more powerful throw.
- PC - You can drop objects with USE or throw them with ATTACK. The
longer you wait, the farther the throw.
Thief Gold and Thief II Tips/Cheats